Housed within the new Plaza Building, the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center offers world class treatment here at home. Our Patients are at the center of everything we do, and our approach to diagnosing cancer and delivering exceptional care is channeled through a multidisciplinary team approach that ensures our Patients see their team of specialists at one location and in one visit. By opening new doors in the fight against cancer with better treatments, technology, and a total Patient-centered focus, we’re helping provide a world-class level of care; designed to save lives.
Sparrow is committed to saving the lives of our Cancer Center Patients every day
The Herbert-Herman Cancer Center offers comprehensive and convenient access to:
- Precision Medicine – Targeting the specific genetic mutations of your tumor
- One of the largest clinical trial programs in the region
- Medical, radiation and surgical oncologists in one location
- The region’s only full-time clinical cancer genetic counselor
- Input from Mayo oncologists and surgeons
- The regions most advanced radiation technology
Opening New Doors in the Fight Against Cancer
In an emotional and touching ceremony on July 11, 2017, Sparrow dedicated the new Herbert-Herman Cancer Center — a milestone for the mid-Michigan region in providing world-class treatment here at home with no need to go anywhere else. Community members played a critical role in establishing the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center, and the facility — which opened to Patients on July 17, 2017 — has been years in the making.
Highlights and Highpoints
- The state-of-the-art Cancer Center will elevate the care we provide to more than 70,000 people a year.
- 40 Infusion bays overlooking a beautiful rooftop garden will welcome the nearly 1500 people who come to us for chemotherapy and specialty infusion services each year.
- Three linear accelerators have been purchased for the Cancer Center which customize high-energy X-rays to a tumor’s shape and destroy cancer cells, all while sparing surrounding tissue.
- Additional space for precision medicine, clinical trials, genetic counseling, pharmacy, lab, social workers, palliative care specialists, dieticians, and breast and hair prosthetics.
- Also featured is a Cancer Resource Center for Patients.
Healing Spaces and Art
- Glass ceiling sculpture in main lobby features 100 pieces of kiln-fired blue-green iridescent waves of glass
- Mixed media sculpture of steel and glass in plaza focuses on a meditative balance of materials
- Pewabic Tile Feature Wall at Monument Stair artistically connects the two floors of the Cancer Center and compliment Glass Ceiling sculpture
The Herbert-Herman Cancer Center exemplifies Sparrow’s commitment to implementing profound and positive changes in the way healthcare is provided. We are transforming care through innovation, such as being home to the largest clinical trials program in the region. We are taking a Patient-first mentality by ensuring that our Patients receive an individualized treatment plan with input from all specialists. It’s a higher level of cancer care for a quality of life worth living for our Patients.