About Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center
Housed within the new Sparrow Plaza Building, the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center offers world-class cancer treatment here at home. Our Patients are at the center of everything we do, and our approach for diagnosing cancer and delivering exceptional care is channeled through a unique multidisciplinary team process. This ensures our Patients see their team of specialists at one location and in one visit. By opening new doors in the fight against cancer with better treatments, technology, and a total Patient-centered focus, we’re helping provide a world-class level of care that is designed to save lives.
Committed to saving the lives of our Patients
The Herbert-Herman Cancer Center offers each Patient comprehensive and convenient access to:
- Medical, radiation, and surgical oncologists, all in one location
- Specialized pathologists and radiologists
- The only full-time clinical cancer genetic counselor in Mid-Michigan
- The region’s most advanced cancer technology
- Precision medicine to target each Patient’s cancer
- One of the largest clinical trial programs in the region
Opening new doors in the fight against cancer
In an emotional and touching ceremony on July 11, 2017, Sparrow dedicated the new Herbert-Herman Cancer Center — a milestone for the Mid-Michigan region in providing world-class treatment here at home with no need to go anywhere else. The remarkable facility — which opened to Patients on July 17, 2017 — has been years in the making. The state-of-the-art cancer center has elevated the care we provide to more than 70,000 people each year.
Dr. James Herman, a famed Oncologist at the Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center, noted that while the facility is dazzling, “we expect the Patient to be the only focus in this building. To Patients, we promise to bring our continued dedication and passion to your care.”
Mid-Michigan community members played a critical role in establishing the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center and helping us save the lives of our Patients. Together, we are opening new doors in the fight against cancer.
Offering unique Patient-centered highlights
The Patient-centered focus at Sparrow makes the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center stand out amongst other cancer hospitals in Mid-Michigan. We offer a Cancer Resource Center for Patients to receive answers on the many questions that come with a cancer diagnosis, cancer treatment, and cancer recovery.
To enhance the comfort of our facility, Patients enjoy 40 infusion bays overlooking a beautiful rooftop garden, designed to welcome the nearly 1,500 people who choose Sparrow for chemotherapy and specialty infusion services each year.
Among the leading technology housed and utilized at Sparrow are three linear accelerators, including the ViewRay MRIdian, which combines MRI imaging with radiation therapy, allowing the Physician to see live video of the tumor and surrounding tissues during treatment. This allows for greater precision to treat the tumor while sparing the surrounding tissue.
Our facility offers additional space for precision medicine, clinical trials, genetic counseling, pharmacy, lab, social workers, palliative care specialists, dieticians, and breast and hair prosthetics.
Highlights and Highpoints
- The state-of-the-art Cancer Center will elevate the care we provide to more than 70,000 people a year.
- 40 Infusion bays overlooking a beautiful rooftop garden will welcome the nearly 1500 people who come to us for chemotherapy and specialty infusion services each year.
- Three linear accelerators have been purchased for the Cancer Center which customize high-energy X-rays to a tumor’s shape and destroy cancer cells, all while sparing surrounding tissue.
- Additional space for precision medicine, clinical trials, genetic counseling, pharmacy, lab, social workers, palliative care specialists, dieticians, and breast and hair prosthetics.
- Also featured is a Cancer Resource Center for Patients.
Providing a comfortable, healing space
The Herbert-Herman Cancer Center exemplifies Sparrow’s commitment to implementing profound and positive changes in the way healthcare is provided. We are transforming care through innovation, such as being home to the largest clinical trials program in the region. This Patient-first mentality is a higher level of cancer care for a quality of life worth living for our Patients.
The following art pieces were created to inspire comfort and healing through art at the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center:
- Glass ceiling sculpture in main lobby features 100 pieces of kiln-fired blue-green iridescent waves of glass
- Mixed media sculpture of steel and glass in plaza focuses on a meditative balance of materials
- Pewabic tile feature wall at Monument Stair artistically connects the two floors