Herbert-Herman Cancer Center
Life-saving care starts here.
Finding out you have cancer is devastating. When you hear those words from your doctor your head begins to fill with questions and concerns. It is during these moments that you want to know you are going to receive life-saving care. Sparrow Health System has built a state-of-the-art facility, expanded their services and treatments, brought in the most cutting-edge technology available and leverages a relationship with the Mayo Clinic for one sole purpose; to save your life.
We are the only hospital in Michigan to offer this comprehensive panel of services, treatments, and expertise.
Sparrow has the region's only Board-certified Gynecological Oncology surgeon.
Outstanding gynecological care is a cornerstone of the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center.
Sparrow is one of the only cancer centers in mid-Michigan to use a targeted therapy approach.
Targeted therapies translate to shorter hospital stays and a lower risk of side effects for our Patients.
Sparrow has the region's only full-time clinical Genetic Counselor and Genetics Program
Genetic testing can lead to early detection of genetic cancers and increase our Patients’ chances for survival.
Sparrow offers one of mid-Michigan's only oncology-certified Social Workers
Yet another example of our Patient-focused approached, our Social Worker has been cerfitied to work with the needs of cancer Patients.
Sparrow is one of the only regional programs accepting Phase 1-3 clinical trials.
Clinical trials give our Patients increased access to the latest treatments on the forefront of cancer research.
Sparrow is the only hospital in Michigan that is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network
This means our Patients have exclusive access to Mayo doctors, research and best practices.
The Sparrow Difference
Dedicated and Experienced Cancer Physicians
- We have the region’s only Board-certified Gynecological Oncology surgeon
- A team of nine renowned, board-certified physicians with over 100 years of oncology expertise, experience, and knowledge
- We’ve been nationally recognized by the Commission on Cancer accreditation since 1975.
- Among the first in Michigan to attain the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) Certification
- With the healing environment of the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center, our Patients see a team of clinicians under one roof and in one visit, rather than making separate appointments with specialists from different practices.
- Each major cancer site has its own multidisciplinary clinic (Breast, Lung, Colorectal, Genitourinary, High PSA)
- You will receive an individualized treatment plan with input from all specialists
Patients of the Herbert Herman Cancer Center have access to:
- The region’s only full-time clinical Genetic Counselor and Genetics Program
- Mayo Clinic Laboratories and Pathologists for molecular genetic testing
- One of the area’s only dedicated oncology-certified Social Worker
- Nurse Navigators to personally guide you through the process for Breast, Genitourinary (Prostate), High PSA, Lung, and Colorectal Multidisciplinary Clinics
- Onsite Chemotherapy Pharmacy for infusion Patients
- On-site laboratory specifically for cancer Patients
- Pain / symptom management clinic within the Cancer Center
- Oncology-certified Dietician who provides nutrition education and support early on in cancer treatment
- Dedicated in-facility retail spaces specializing in breast- and hair-prosthesis for cancer Patients
- Cancer Resource Center which is available to Patients, friends, and family
- Survivorship – After you beat your cancer, our team will stick with you to help you through the many phases of follow-up care including fitness, nutrition and emotional health.
- Elekta Versa – Brand new linear accelerator treatment machine bringing the most advanced radiation oncology technology to mid-Michigan
- ViewRay (Coming early 2018)- The world’s first and only clinical MRI guided radiation therapy system that can image and treat simultaneously with no additional imaging dose to the Patient to protect healthy tissue.
- There are 40 infusion bays with custom recliners that overlook a beautiful rooftop garden, with many large windows and natural lighting
- The Physician Practices and Multi-Disciplinary Clinic Space offer the most advanced exam rooms; examination and consultation space in the same room
- State-of-the-art Gynecologic Oncology procedure rooms
- State-of-the-art video-teleconferencing capabilities
Phase 1-3 Clinical Trials
- The Sparrow Herbert Herman Cancer Center is home to the largest clinical trials program in the region
- Access to a wide variety of clinical trials sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and government organizations such as the National Cancer Institute.
- One of the only regional program accepting Phase 1 – 3 clinical trials
- Currently working with Mayo to bring additional Phase I and II Mayo clinical trials to Sparrow
- Precision Medicine: Region’s highest precision medicine, genetics-based clinical trial accruals
Sparrow has a unique relationship with the Mayo Clinic as Michigan’s first member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network.
Sparrow has a unique Mayo relationship as Michigan’s first member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Our relationship with The Mayo Clinic, and our membership in the Mayo Clinic Care Network provides real and tangible benefits to the mid-Michigan community. It gives Sparrow and our Physicians access to the latest research and clinical trials, an expansive bank of knowledge and experience, and the ability to interface directly with some of the leading physicians in their respective fields. Learn more about how Mayo has made a difference in our Patient care.