Why Choose Sparrow
Life-saving care starts here.
The journey to life-saving cancer treatment starts with all the questions that arise from an initial cancer diagnosis. Who are the best cancer specialists? Who has the most advanced facility? Sparrow Health System has built a state-of-the-art cancer center with the most cutting-edge cancer technology available, and leveraged a relationship with Mayo Clinic to enhance our network of experts. We feature the region’s only board certified gynecologic oncology surgeon, the area’s only full-time genetic counselor, and so much more — all to bring world-class care to you here, at home in Mid-Michigan.
The Big Picture: Michigan’s only hospital offering this comprehensive panel of services, treatments, and expertise.
Sparrow has the region’s only board certified gynecologic oncology surgeon.
Outstanding gynecological care is a cornerstone of Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center.
Sparrow is one of the only cancer centers in Mid-Michigan with a Precision Medicine program, identifying targeted therapies based on scientific analysis of the molecular makeup of the cancer.
Targeted therapies are new treatment options identified through scientific analysis of the tumor using gene sequencing technology.
Sparrow has the region’s only full-time genetic counselor and genetics program.
Genetic testing can lead to early detection of genetic cancers and increase our Patients’ chances for cancer survival.
Sparrow offers one of Mid-Michigan’s only oncology-certified social workers.
Yet another example of our Patient-focused approach, our social worker has been certified to work with the needs of cancer Patients.
Sparrow is the one of the only regional programs accepting phase 1-3 clinical trials.
Clinical trials give our Patients increased access to the latest treatments on the forefront of cancer research.
Sparrow is the only hospital in Michigan that is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network.
This means our Patients have exclusive access to Mayo doctors, research, and best practices.
Learn even more about the Sparrow Difference
Dedicated and Experienced Cancer Physicians
- A team of renowned, board certified Physicians, board certified Physicians with over 100 years of oncology expertise, experience, and knowledge
- The region’s only board certified gynecologic oncology surgeon
- Nationally recognized by the Commission on Cancer Accreditation Program since 1975
- Among the first in Michigan to attain the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) Certification
Multidisciplinary Cancer Clinics
- Patients see a team of clinicians under one roof and in one visit, rather than making separate appointments with specialists from different practices
- Each major cancer site has its own multidisciplinary clinic (breast, lung, colorectal, genitourinary, upper GI, and head & neck)
- Patients receive an individualized treatment plan with input from all specialists
- One of the only cancer centers in Mid-Michigan to use a targeted therapy approach, shortening hospital stays and lowering side effect risks
World-Class Cancer Care
- The region’s only full-time clinical genetic counselor and genetics program to increase early detection and chances for survival
- Mayo Clinic laboratories and pathologists for molecular genomic testing
- One of the area’s only dedicated oncology-certified social worker
- Nurse Navigators to personally guide you through the process of each multidisciplinary clinic
- On-site chemotherapy pharmacy for infusion Patients
- On-site laboratory specifically for cancer Patients
- Pain and symptom management clinic
- Oncology-certified dietician who provides nutrition education and support in cancer treatment
- Dedicated in-facility retail spaces specializing in breast- and hair-prosthesis for cancer Patients
- Cancer Resource Center which is available to Patients, friends, and family
- Survivorship – After you beat your cancer, our team will stick with you to help you through the phases of follow-up care including fitness, nutritional, and emotional health
State-of-the-Art Cancer Facilities
- ViewRay’s MRIdian Linac, the world’s first and only clinical MRI-guided radiation therapy system that can simultaneously image and treat with no additional imaging dose to the Patient
- Elekta Versa, a brand new linear accelerator treatment machine bringing the most advanced radiation oncology technology to Mid-Michigan
- Forty infusion bays with custom recliners overlooking a beautiful rooftop garden, with large windows and natural lighting
- Physician practices and multidisciplinary clinic space, which offers the most advanced exam rooms and technology
Phase 1-3 Clinical Trials
- The region’s first precision medicine program with a molecular tumor board that analyzes gene sequence results to identify targeted treatment options
- Home to the largest clinical trials program in the region
- Patients are placed on the forefront of cancer treatment research
- Access to a wide variety of clinical trials sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and government organizations such as the National Cancer Institute
- One of the only regional programs accepting phase 1-3 clinical trials
- Working with Mayo Clinic to bring additional clinical trials to Sparrow
- Genetics-based clinical trial accruals with the help of our genetic counselor
Partnership with Mayo Clinic
- Michigan’s first member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network
- Physicians use electronic consult processes to attain second opinions from Mayo specialists so Patients never have to leave their home to access Mayo specialists
- Gives Sparrow exclusive access to Mayo Clinic clinical trials
- Expansive bank of knowledge and experience